Saturday, December 1, 2012

Kaya toast, a slab of butter and some half boiled eggs

You would think I would know something about this popular Singaporean / Malaysian breakfast by now. But I did not till I sat at a little cafe chain called Toast Box after hours of walking through Bugis Junction Mall in Singapore and watched a young couple dip toast in half boiled eggs. They seemed like they had poured soya sauce and pepper in their eggs and the toast was thickly laden with butter and a jam. I was intrigued to the point I was unashamedly staring at them eat their snack. Seemingly breakfast food, people were ordering this late into the evening. Who says breakfast should only be eaten in the morning.

So the next morning I got my own Kaya Toast and coffee from Toast Box. I did not venture the half boiled eggs yet. And then that afternoon I stopped by another local cafe and bought the set breakfast for lunch. Yes and this time with the boiled eggs and soya sauce and pepper and all. It was quite interesting. The coffee in Singapore was outstanding. The best filter coffee I have had yet.
So what is Kaya toast. Well its a jam like spread made of coconut, eggs and sugar. Its got that warm curstardy taste to it. Its offset by a generous helping of salty butter on freshly toasted bread. Its like a bite of heaven in your mouth. It goes perfectly well with coffee.

Kaya toast became a popular breakfast in Singapore and Malaysia when local Hainanese people who worked on British ships serving jam and toast for breakfast adapted it into their own diet. So instead of serving toast with fruit preserves they made their own local version of coconut jam called Kaya.

I have to say, I loved this breakfast so much I had a Kaya toast almost every morning with my cuppa joe. At Toast Box, they several different kinds of toasts - I tried something called a Floss toast which is basically pork shavings on the Kaya served on a thick slice of bread. Yes you heard me right- pork shavings. Its an interesting combination - think bacon and syrup. They had a peanut butter too that seemed very popular but I did not try. I wish I had more time and more mornings in Singapore to lap it all up.
freshly baked bread, coffee and lots of eggs
Superb coffee
A slab of butter sandwiched between Kaya slathered toast
True to their word, the coffee was outstanding and so was the toast
the half boiled egg
Half boiled egg, soya and pepper. Not a bad combination
More Kaya toast
Delightful cup of coffee
Floss on toast and coffee and eggs
Oh yes! Half boiled goodness. Getting a hang of this breakfast
Floss toast: light shredded pork on Kaya toast- sweet and salty
Eggs once more
Peanut butter pastry
Some more cold coffee




The perfect breakfast song

1 comment:

  1. Mmm!! Floss from ToastBox is amazing - saved my Singaporean breakfasts big time!

    ReplyDelete